23 Jul 2012

Ratatouille

Ratatouille is by far, one of my favourite meals.  My old room-mate, Chloe, and I used to make it together in our small kitchen in Ottawa.  I just harvested my first large eggplant and used some zucchinis that my family was given from our family friend, Ping's farm.

The recipe is adapted (I mean improvised) from the "Student's Go Vegan Cookbook" by Carole Raymond.  If you ever get a chance to look at it, I recommend that you do.  Its not just for students, its for people on a budget, creating meals with limited ingredients.

Also, when I make it, I can't help but think about the cartoon movie where the rat becomes a chef.

Ratatouille (adapted from Carole Raymond)

Serve over polenta or mashed potatoes, or with some baguette.  The taste improves with time, so will taste better the next day.

Ingredients (all of these can be modified)
1/2 small eggplant (I used a whole one from my garden)
<1 cup of olive oil (i would recommend coconut oil, because its so good for you)
1/2 onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves
yellow or red bell pepper (optional)
1 medium sized zucchini, chopped
whole tomatoes in a can, or several fresh tomatoes
1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1/2 tbsp thyme
salt/pepper
optional: black sesame seeds (i added these because of their high iron content, and you can hardly taste them)

Directions:
Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices.  brush with oil on both sides.  layer it onto a cookie sheet and broil for 15-20 minutes (keep a close eye on it) and flip the layers halfway or bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. While it bakes, add 1 tbsp oil to pan or wok and add thyme, salt and pepper.  Then add onion, sauté for 3-5 minutes.  Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.  Add bell pepper, zucchini and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
When the eggplant is ready, remove it from oven and cut into cubes.  Chop the tomatoes, or pull them apart using your hands over the pan.  Stir in eggplant, chickpeas.  Cover and cook for 15 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment