I just made this a couple days ago. I was trying to use the rest of my mouse melons (miniature cucumbers) while they were still fresh. The mouse melons have a slightly more tangy flavour. The second day, I added about 2 cups almond milk and the rest of the parsley head, just to use up the ingredients and also to make the soup stretch out a little bit (to serve 6 rather than 4)
It was a big success! The avocado really made the soup creamy (as well as the almond milk) and the parsley and cuc's really made it seem really healthy but still very tasty. Yum Yum, I will definitely be making this one again!
Creamy Cucumber Soup
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
There's no reason to only use cucumbers raw—they are wonderful sautéed then pureed with avocado for a silken-textured soup that's good warm or cold.
4 servings, about 1 cup each | Active Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (i used coconut oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups peeled, seeded and thinly sliced cucumbers, divided
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth (i used a vegetable bouillon cube)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt (i used almond milk instead)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 1 to 4 minutes. Add lemon juice and cook for 1 minute. Add 3 3/4 cups cucumber slices, broth, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook at a gentle simmer until the cucumbers are soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender. Add avocado and parsley; blend on low speed until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Pour into a serving bowl and stir in yogurt. Chop the remaining 1/4 cup cucumber slices. Serve the soup warm or refrigerate and serve it chilled. Just before serving, garnish with the chopped cucumber and more chopped parsley, if desired.
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 4 hours.